Friday, July 16, 2010

My Sins Against Gender Stereotypes

It was a real surprise to me when Guddu, a friend of mine tagged me to list (at least) 10 things that I do or like to do, which are not Manly. I was like 'he he'.. what on this earth made Guddu to explore the Girly in me? Anyways, thanks for tagging me Guddu. The tag is:

If you are a Women
Have you ever wanted something that is considered 'manly'? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them at all - The remote!
As a kid did you enjoy playing with a bat and a ball?
There was a time when books were considered 'manly', women authors had to pretend to be men - would you say books are still rather manly - women should want to embroider or crochet?

If you are a Man
Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want - like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects? As a kid did you ever want to play 'teacher teacher', cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?


:: My List ::
  1. Face wash gel, a fairness cream and talcum powder are those which I don't miss using everyday and so, carry  them everywhere when traveling. Himalaya Purifying Neem Face Wash, Vaseline Men and Himami Navratna Cool Talc are my current product range.
  2. I usually remember the 'dates' well and fond of anniversaries. May it be the birthday of a n(d)ear one, the day I joined my first job, the day I bought my bike/car, the day I met someone very special in life.. remember and rejoice them every year.
  3. Somehow, I don't talk with 'eye contact' to anyone. Many a times have tried to see at the other persons eye while conversing, but a moment or two, I take off.
  4. Let it be a rakhi tied by sister or a gift presented by a friend or all my old cell phones or anything I use for that matter; never let them go. I treasure every simple thing in life and keep them very, very safe.
  5. When alone at Home, I don't get out for food. Love cooking at Home and eat. Organizing a recent get-together dinner at work, the way I sliced cucumber for salad had impressed my colleagues.
  6. Since childhood, am very fond of wearing ear ring on my left ear. Mom says, since my ears are not pierced, I don't listen to elders! Now, my profession, to some extent has kept me off the left ear ring.
  7. 'You sweep well..' my close friend told me when I was cleaning my room. And yes, its true, I do sweep well, guess better than any of today's girl; like to keep the premises tidy.
  8. Monotype Corsiva, the font am greatly impressed with, is said to be feminine.
  9. Prefer to stay back Home than outing; that isn't Home-Sick. Since childhood (and even now!) Mom complains that I don't go out for shopping, at least to get vegetables and groceries.
  10. PURPLE - usually catches my attention. Purple is very close to Pink - the lovely girly.

I would like to say that everyone interested are already tagged. So, please give your go now..

8 comments:

  1. You sweep well!! Ahem.. I wanna see u sweep now .. hehe
    BTW nice list.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome to see me sweeping Guddu. But, please.. please.. don't tell this important info to my wife (after I get married) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. She might have already known by now.... ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! No.. please stop kidding Veena, this is a serious matter huhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Prashanth, i will try my best to keep it secret. But u may have to bribe me later to make me keep my mouth shut.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, then, I might want to contact Mr. Santhosh Hegde (Lokayukta,KA, IN) :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too many girlish activities :)
    Liking lavendar shade, sweeping well, interest in staying back at home, monotype corsiva, remembering the dates of many occassion :) oops!! what not :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prathima, since the tag insisted only 10 things, the list is small; else.. :D
    When God made me, hope he took the '11th hour' decision about my gender!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

ಖಂಡಿತಾ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಅನಿಸಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿಳಿಸಿ. ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು!
Please post your comments. Thank you!