Monday, August 15, 2011

My name is Harry

Courtesy - PicCat
My name is Harry; well, may be that doesn't matter anymore. My lungs fail to oxygenate blood and heart refuses to pump the impure blood. All my vital organs have rested themselves; kidneys being the main culprit for everything happening. There's a reason for me to fight my death – I just want to see my 'mom'.

Am 9 years old now; did you think it's not the age to die? But, being a Cat, that's nearly what I all deserve. 'Harry is going really down; all his vital organs have stopped functioning. To save him from further sufferings, I strongly suggest you to put him to sleep' says the Vet to my owner, which she refuses at once. My 'mom' is expected here to see me anytime now; I have to hold my breath until then.

While I lay down almost dead in the Intensive Care Unit, my owner picks a call – 'Harry hasn't had eaten anything for a week now; I don't see him open his eyes since past two days'. I know it's my 'mom' at the other end. After disconnecting the call, owner pats me and says 'Clara is taking the next flight and will be reaching here by evening. You will be alright Harry'.

Clara – the youngest daughter of my owner; she is my 'mom'. Even before I could open my eyes after birth, I was abandoned orphan. It's Clara who picked me up and gave me life then; it was she whom I saw when I opened my eyes for the first time. She was a school-going kid then, but still took care of me every single day – isn't she my 'mom'?

Though there were many Cats at home, am her only pet. She used to laugh with me, play with me, eat with me, sleep with me and even cry with me; in no time we were soul-mates. I don't remember even a single night sleeping without being hugged by her. I soon became her child and she, my 'mom'.

When she wanted to do her higher studies, she chose Veterinary Science. 'Don't worry Harry, I will soon become a Vet to see that you never get ill and had to suffer' – she told me before leaving to join a far away Veterinary School. I jumped into her bag and went till airport; was very sad that day and wept a lot for wanting her. It's five years now and she will be a Vet doctor in a month or so, and I have gone through all possible sufferings being ill and trying to restore my fading breath every single time, until she arrives.

'Harry never let me sleep the night before my daughter Clara was coming home. Now, though I told him she is already on her way to see him, he don't bother to respond' – my owner was telling to the Nurse who came to change my drip. She, and even me know very well that nothing on this earth could give me a rebirth; all meds pushed inside me had just gotten filtered out off my blood during dialysis.

'Harry..'; well, it sounds like my 'mom'. 'Harry.. I came for you..'; yes, it's my 'mom'. She gently pats on my head through body; I feel it so comfortable, as though am a new soul altogether. Finally am going to witness a sight, which I was longing to see for the last time in life. I put all my stored bits of energy together and managed to open my shut eyes. It's her.. my 'mom'; my 'mom'! She looked so sad, dull and red; hugged me at once. I felt it is the right time to let my pulse stop ticking. But then, I still want to live forever in the love of her arms. She comes close and kisses me on my forehead, tears roll off her eyes and falls on my mouth; I gently smacked it..
I pray, the great soul of Harry rest in peace.

17 comments:

  1. Wow...relation with pets is lovely..

    very touching post <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gowthami, true; relations with pets are very so lovely. Harry had CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) and passed away a fortnight back. His struggle for life and relation with my friend had touched me, which inspired me to write this post. Am glad it did touch you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gowthami, thanks for the tribute to Harry. The little Soul rightly deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prashanth,
    My god i have no words for this how wonderfully you have written. You made me cry out loud I had to rush to restroom to avoid stare.

    May his soul rest in peace with my beloved pet Rambo.

    I heard my Rambo speak in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good hearts always beat for true love; no wonder you heard Rambo in Harry.

    Ramya, even my friend who had Harry as pet also broke out with tears and rushed to rest room three times while reading this post yesterday.

    In life, I have gotten a blessed chance to be in close association with pets and animals; hope it helped me much in speaking out Harry's words.

    Am pleased with your prayers for the lovely pets. I pray Rambo rests in peace too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! :'(
    May Harry's soul rest in peace, and a salute to you for writing such a heart-touching post.
    Can't stop my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divya, thanks for your concern towards the lovely creature who is no more. Am sure all our prayers will give his soul a peaceful place in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ಪ್ರಶಾಂತ್ , ಅಂತು ನೀನು ಮುದ್ದು ಬೆಕ್ಕಿನಮರಿಯ ದೇಹದಲ್ಲಿ ಪರಕಾಯ ಪ್ರವೇಶಮಾಡಿ ಅದರ ಮನಸ್ಸಿನ ತಳಮಳ ಅದು ತನ್ನ ಮಮ್ಮಿ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಇಟ್ಟಿದ್ದ ಅಗಾದವಾದ ಬಿಡಿಸಲು ಅಸಾಧ್ಯವಾದ ಅನುರಾಗ , ಪ್ರೀತಿ ಬಾಂದವ್ಯ ವನ್ನು ತನ್ನ ಕೊನೆಘಳಿಗೆಯವರೆಗೂ ತನ್ನಲ್ಲಿ ಅದುಮಿಡಿದುಕೊಂಡು ತನ್ನ ಅಂತಿಮ ಘಟ್ಟದಲ್ಲಿ ತೋರಿಸಿ ಜೀವನದ ಮಾಯೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಲೀನವಾದ ರೀತಿಯನ್ನು ಬಹಳ ಮನೋಜ್ಞವಾಗಿ ಮನಕರಗು ವಂತೆ ಹೇಳಿ ಎಲ್ಲರ ಕಣ್ಣಲ್ಲೂ ನೀರು ಬರುವಂತೆ ಮಾಡಿದ್ದೀಯ !!!.ಈ ನಿನ್ನ ಚಾತುರ್ಯವನ್ನು ಎಷ್ಟು ಬಣ್ಣಿಸಿದರೂ ಸಾಲದು .ನೀನು ಪಶು ವೈದ್ಯ ನಾಗಿದ್ದಕ್ಕೂ ಸಾರ್ಥಕವಾಯಿತು .ಭಲೇ .....ಭಲೇ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. ಸರ್, ನನ್ನ ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಚಿಕ್ಕದೊಂದು ಬರವಣಿಗೆಯ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ನೀವು ಇಷ್ಟು ಅದ್ಭುತ ಅನಿಸಿಕೆ ವ್ಯಕ್ತಪಡಿಸಿದ್ದಕ್ಕೆ ಅನಂತ ವಂದನೆಗಳು. ನಿಮ್ಮ ಪ್ರೋತ್ಸಾಹ ಹೀಗೆಯೇ ಮುಂದುವರೆಯುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂದು ಆಶಿಸುತ್ತೇನೆ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God! Pets are really lovable. I know how I had cried when my kitten was killed by a dog.
    It showered so much love. It hurts so much even now when I think about it.

    Though I love cats, I stay away from them. :(
    Lovely post Prashant. Wonder how you got this idea..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sahana, I had been closely following Harry's ill health lately; thanks for my friend who kept me updated all the way. As always, I just thought in Harry's perspective and tried to put it in words.

    Am surprised, most of us are too closely associated with pets; sometime or the other in life. Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohh very touching. first i thot it was fiction but i read the comments n came to know its a real story. its very sad. no one, not man, not animals, should suffer for death to come. esp animals coz they cant even express their pain. saavu bandrey tat antha barbeku. narala baradu. paapa their pain is unbearable to see

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sujatha, everyone on earth will not get a chance to DIE PEACEFULLY; we need to be lucky to die a peaceful death and the luck comes from the way we make a living!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gowthami, thank you so much! I really feel honored :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heart touching story..... So sad.....
    :-(

    ReplyDelete

ಖಂಡಿತಾ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಅನಿಸಿಕೆಗಳನ್ನು ತಿಳಿಸಿ. ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು!
Please post your comments. Thank you!